Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Frankenstein and Allusions to Grover

I began reading Frankenstein today because it was on display in the English section of the library and I remembered the time when I was 12 when I "tried" to read it and then stopped. The character Robert Walton writes letters in the beginning of the book and blabs a lot about his lonely childhood and need for a friend who he can brag or cry to, and says that "I have no one near me, gentle yet courageous, possessed of a cultivated as well as of a capacious mind, whose tastes are like my own, to approve or amend my plans".  Sadly it was the 1700s and Grover was unavailable for comment. However, these quotes made me think that Old Robbie felt Grover's presence:

"Yet some feelings, unallied to the dross of human nature, beat even in these rugged bosoms"

"I spoke of my desire of finding a friend - and of my thirst for a more intimate sympathy with a fellow mind than had ever fallen to my lot"

"He will be like a celestial spirit that has a halo around him, within whose circle no grief or folly ventures"

"His lustrous eyes dwell on me with all their melancholy sweetness; I see his thin hand raised in animation"

No comments:

Post a Comment